As always, I underestimated how much time it would require me to work on something. So, at the end of my last post when I said I’d be done in a week–that was a down right lie. At that point, I only had the gloves, the sleeves, and some finishing touches left. Since then, I’ve managed to finish the gloves less the aforementioned finishing touches (by “finishing touches” I mean little metal triangle button/shield/charm thingies that appear all over this costume and apparently are not sold anywhere).
It was a huge pain to find good pictures of the gloves, but this was the best I was able to come up with:
The weekend I started working on the gloves, my parents happened to visit for the weekend. My mom, who is a seamstress by trade and taught me most of what I know about sewing, saw me working on the gloves and opined that gloves are “really hard to make” and that I’d be better off buying them from a store. Yeah, mom, I’m pretty sure I can’t just go down to Walmart and buy Mulan gloves.
Turns out my mom was probably right. I could have totally just bought a pair of black gloves and added on the parts I needed. Not that I’m ever going to admit that to her. But anyway, I started out by making a pair of basic black gloves using the Butterick B5695 pattern. I actually had to do this twice because the first set was made out of the same vinyl I used to make the rest of the costume and had no stretch. I could barely fit my hands inside them, so I had to start over with a scrap of pleather I used on another costume that Joann’s doesn’t carry any more. It had some stretch, so it saved the day.
I then added a long wide cuff and some decorative touches in red. I won’t bore you with all the details on how I did that. It was time-consuming and while the process was fun to me, it’ll be tedious to explain. Once again, I failed to take any pictures while making these, so I only have a picture of the almost complete gloves.
Now I only have to make the little triangle things and apply them before these gloves and most of the costume will be finished. I won’t say I’ll be done in a week because that would again probably be a lie, but I do think I’m nearing the end of this project.