It’s that time of year again when DragonCon prep takes over all my spare time. Despite the lack of posts on this subject, I’ve been busy working on a couple of costumes. This year, I’m making two Mulan costumes. Yes, two.
It’s not that I have a particular affinity for the Mulan character (although she IS the most awesome Disney Princess). Last fall, when the Mulan character showed up on Once Upon a Time, she had this gorgeous quilted leather armor with lots of metal details, and I just knew I had to make that costume.
Then, a few weeks ago, my friends and I decided on doing post-apocalyptic Disney Princesses as a group costume. So, of course, Mulan was the obvious choice for me.
The post-apocalyptic costume is about 95% done. Of all the Disney Princesses, I’d say Mulan has one of the least distinctive costumes. Unlike the other Princesses, she wears several outfits during the movie. I decided to base my costume off of the following outfit mainly because I liked the color combination:
I decided to make a simple underbust corset instead of the obi (or whatever the Chinese equivalent is) and shorten the skirt. I also went with more muted colors, this being post apocalypse and all. I’ve done a horrible job of documenting my work this year, so I have very few pictures of the work in progress. This is the completed corset:
And here’s a horrible picture taken just after midnight of the whole ensemble:
The skirt is just a rectangular piece of fabric folded and pinned, and the top was sewn in about 20 minutes. The beauty of making a post-apocalyptic costume is that everything is unfinished and rough! I think I may go a different route for the red belt. I also still need to dirty and rip the outfit some and find some accessories, but other than that, I’m done.
The OUAT costume is taking much more time. I started with the shoulder piece, which has been a complete nightmare. In order to get the textured looked, I first thought I’d make it out of crumpled paper. The paper had just the right texture until I started to paint it, and it also didn’t lay correctly, so I scrapped it.
I then tried craft foam which I painted with gold acrylic paint mixed with a texture medium.
Once that dried, I brushed over the gold paint with black paint using a stiff bristle brush making sure not to get too much paint into the crevices. I’m still not entirely happy with the result, but I think it’ll be good enough. Sewing the collar on has also been a pain, and I still haven’t figured out how to get it to lay correctly, so I’ve moved on to other parts of the costume and will get back to this later. I also thought I had some pictures of my progress on this, but I don’t. I’ll post them as soon as I can.
The chest piece, which I thought would be the most difficult, turned out to be fairly simple to make. I started by wrapping myself with masking tape (much easier to work with than duct tape!) over a plastic bag to make my pattern. I’d never sewn a quilted design in anything before, so this was actually a lot of fun.
I think in the actual costume, the red pieces are sewn in, but I couldn’t figure out how to do that without driving myself crazy. I decided to paint them in instead.
Iwas able to track down the antique two-tone slotted conchos used in the actual costume. However, as I don’t have the money to pay $6 PER PIECE for these things, I went the much cheaper route by buying silver-toned ones and painting them. They don’t look exactly right, but for the price, they’ll do.
That’s all I have for now. I should have most of this costume done by the end of the week and will post more then.